This is a guest post.
There are many great options for family vehicles out there. Choosing just one may be harder than it seems. How many miles will the car travel each day? Are the miles city or highway? Will small children be in the car? How important are comfort features? When comparing features like price, gas mileage, comfort and safety, it is essential to know the right questions to ask.
In addition to wagons, minivans and sport utility vehicles, cars are often a good choice for families. They can be less expensive, easier to park on the street, and lighter on wallets at the gas pump. For many families, a car may be the best option.
2012 Ford Fusion Hybrid
The Ford Fusion Hybrid is an attractive midsize sedan with plenty of room for five. Traction and stability control come standard, along with side curtain airbags, front side airbags, and antilock disc brakes. It also includes a feature called MyKey that allows parents to control how fast teens can drive and how loud they play their music.
• Base price for this model: $28,775
• Gas mileage: 41 city/36 highway
• Comfort features: interior air filtration, dual zone climate controls
• Safety features: child seat anchors, rear door child safety locks
2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium
The 2012 Subaru Outback 3.6R Premium is a spacious five-passenger midsize wagon. It has standard all-wheel drive, higher than expected ground clearance, and scores well in crash testing. The list of available options is extensive. For shoppers torn between choosing a car or an SUV, the Subaru Outback is an excellent compromise.
• Base price for this model: $29,495
• Gas mileage: 18 city/25 highway
• Comfort features: 12V front and cargo area outlets, MP3 player
• Safety features: daytime running lights, fog lights, dusk sensing headlamps
2012 Honda Odyssey Touring
The Honda Odyssey is a popular choice among families. This minivan has tons of space for passengers and cargo, conveniently located cup holders, sunshades, and multiple seat configurations. The Touring model includes navigation, DVD player, Bluetooth, satellite radio, and iPod input. Traction and stability control are also standard.
• Base price for this model: $41,330
• Gas mileage: 19 city/28 highway
• Comfort features: three zone climate control, cooled storage compartment
• Safety features: engine immobilizer, whiplash protection system
The Fusion, Outback and Odyssey are all smart choices for families. They each have numerous safety features, reasonable prices with many trim levels from which to choose, and all the comforts and appeal of those pre-family cars.